LinkedIn ‘The Professional Network,’ as it is called, can be a great tool for advisors to find new clients. Advisors around the world have started tapping into this media.
Here are six easy steps to start optimizing your LinkedIn presence
Step 1: The right pic
As with any social media, your profile pic is the first thing users are going to notice. Since LinkedIn is a professional platform, you should use a professional photo of yours or your company’s logo. A professionally taken headshot, in a business formal is an ideal choice. The image must be of good quality. The ideal configuration is 450x450 pixels.
Do not use photos where there are other people or objects in the background. Since this is your online business face, choose photos that are appropriate in a business set-up. Also, while choosing the picture, select one where you are looking at the camera. Your audience will feel that you are maintaining eye contact with them.
Step 2: A catchy headline
LinkedIn usually generates a default headline based on your current work profile. However, to stand out, create an informative headline. Write a headline that will intrigue prospective clients. Apart from your job title, mention your USP. The headline must give a gist of who you are and what your clients can expect from you.
Step 3: Personalize the address
Do not go blindly with the address LinkedIn creates for you. Instead, edit this URL so that it is easy to remember and search for.
To change your public profile URL:
- Click the ‘Me’ icon at the top of your LinkedIn homepage.
- Click View profile.
- On your profile page, click ‘Edit your public profile’ in the right rail.
- Under the section ‘Edit public profile URL’ in the right rail, click the ‘Edit’ icon next to your public profile URL.
- Type the last part of your new custom URL in the text box.
- Click Save.
Step 4: Give an interesting summary
A key feature that LinkedIn provides its users is the summary section. Use this space to tell prospects who you are and what you do as a professional. Tell what makes you unique, how you differ from other in your field. This is basically like your online elevator pitch.
Step 5: Make your experience worthwhile.
Many advisors might have worked in other fields before taking up financial advisory. Talk about the roles and responsibilities you held then and how they have prepared you for your current role.
Step 6: Optimize
Now that you have setup your LinkedIn Profile, it is time to use the various features of this media to optimize your presence.
- Targeted pages: You can create variations of the product and services page to target different audiences.
- Rotating banner: LinkedIn gives you the option to add up to three banner images to each of your company profile pages. Banner images are a great way to serve targeted content.
- Videos: Use video content to tell others about your service. This will not only attract more profile views but also make you stand out among your peers.
- Content: Put content on a regular basis. This will position you as a thought leader among your peers.
- Link your social profiles: If you have presence in more than one social media, give links to those profiles.
- Get testimonials: Ask your existing clients to give testimonials about your service and post these on your profile page.