Looking at ways to enhance your business & career? Log onto streetsahead.in to upgrade yourself!
MF News A step-by-step guide to cancel GST registration

A step-by-step guide to cancel GST registration

Pay your pending GST before applying for GST cancellation.
Nishant Patnaik Jul 2, 2018

How can I cancel my GST registration to avail the benefits of reverse charge mechanism (RCM)?

S Gomathi Nayagam, Ambasamudram, Tamil Nadu

Dear S Gomathi,

Firstly, you can avail the benefits of reverse charge mechanism (RCM) only if you earn less than Rs.20 lakh.

In addition, you have to ensure that you do not have any GST payment pending before applying for cancelation. The GST portal may not accept your application form if you have any pending GST amount.

You can cancel your GST registration by visiting this link https://services.gst.gov.in/services/login. Once you have logged in with your credentials, you will have to click on ‘cancellation of provisional registration’ appearing on the extreme right hand side.

You will have to mention the reason by simply stating that your turnover is less than Rs.20 lakh. Now, if you have not issued any tax invoice so far, you are good to cancel your GST registration by submitting it. However, if you have issued tax invoice, you will have to wait a little, as the government is yet to issue a separate form called GST-REG-16.

In case, if you have already requested for GST registration and paid all pending GST, follow this process to get it done.

• Login to ‘GST Portal’ using your log-in ID

• Click on ‘Submit Grievance’

• Select the category as ‘Others’ from the drop down

• Post your grievance as ‘GSTIN cancellation pending’

Click to clap
10 Comments
dEEPAK sINGLA · 2 months ago
SIR, I HAD REGISTER FOR GST IN JULY 2017 BUT APPLY FOR CANCELLATION IN MARCH 2018, WHILE THIS PERIOD I DO NOT ISSUE ANY INVOICE TO ANY AMC AND ALSO NOT FILLED ANY RETURN (NIL OR TAX PAID), NOW AS ON JUNE 2018 MY GST CANCELLATION STATUS IS STILL "PENDING FOR APPROVAL" , PLEASE NOTE MY INCOME IS BELOW 20 LAKH BRACKET. I HAVE NO OTHER BUSINESS OR INCOME, ONLY HAVING MUTUAL FUND BROKERAGE INCOME.

PLEASE GUIDE WHAT I DO IN THAT CASE..
Ipsita Siddhanta · 2 months ago
We were in similar situation with regard to our partnership firm for the last few months.
What you can do is, visit your corresponding tax superintendent with documents of your GST Cancellation application. He can personally get this done within no time. We were genuinely helped.No troubles at all.
ROHIT SUTHAR · 2 months ago
DEAR SIR. I ALSO APPLIED FOR CANCELLATION OF GST. BUT TILL DATE, IT DID NOT CANCEL. WHY GOVT CHARGE LATE FEE IF WE DO NOT SUBMIT ANY TAX RETURN TIMELY ? CAN WE CHARGE AGAINST GOVT FOR LATE PROCESS OF GST CANCELLATION ?
MEANS...OUR DELAY MAY BE CHARGEABLE ,, THEN WHY NOT GOVT DELAY CHARGEABLE ?
Ranjith · 1 month ago
How did you apply for GST cancellation? Can you elaborate the proces?
Prabhakar Bembalgi · 2 months ago
Since my turnover is less than 20 lakhs I had submitted cancellation application on 16.03.2018 but till date have not received confirmation.On checking status it says under process.
Saurabh jareda · 2 weeks ago
If u have applied for cancellation that is good but gst department has option to query. Range Officer .i.e. Superintendent is the proper officer to cancel ur registration but you have to fill ur returns first and deposit ur dues regarding late filing etc.. then if he agree or convince by ur reason he can cancel within a 15 min after completing documentry or server formalties.
Suhas Wadekar · 2 months ago
Sir I want to ask I have not taken GST no. So far and my business mobilization is less than 20 lakh . Now I would like to know GST is on business or commission earned more then 20 lakhs.please advise me sir .
Thanks
ARN 71362
Suhas Wadekar
Suhas Wadekar · 2 months ago
Thanks
ARN 71362
Suhas Wadekar
Saurabh jareda · 2 weeks ago
Dont worry if now gross business turnover is more than 20 lakh u can take registration for ur own good other wise ur income tax detail will be considered for further investigation by department so do it as fast as possible for sake of ur own good
Saurabh jareda · 2 weeks ago
Wish to stay on top of your game? Get daily tips, ideas and articles to grow your business.